Not only is making your own candy fun and rewarding, but you get to be in control of all the weird stuff that goes into it–or in this case, that doesn’t go into it. I’m a big fan of the superb combination of peanut butter & chocolate and recently remembered a technique that was shown to me by some fellow WWOOFers several years ago for making your own peanut butter cups using ice cube trays. I’ve adapted the original recipe to make these peanut butter cups organic, and low in sugar. Here’s what I’ve come up with:
2 ice cube trays (preferably silicone)
Double boiler (I used a ceramic bowl set inside a pot of water on low heat)
Set of measuring spoons
2 bars of Green & Black’s Organic Chocolate (I like their 85% cocoa) or dark chocolate of your choosing
1/4 cup organic peanut butter
1/4 cup leftover crumbs from Kashi Autumn Wheat cereal (you may substitute graham cracker crumbs, saltine crumbs, or other unflavored cracker, cereal, or breadcrumbs of your choosing)
1 tsp. water
1 tsp. organic honey
1. Chop the chocolate and melt it in a double boiler (I used a 2-cup pyrex measuring cup set inside a pot of water on low heat).
2. While the chocolate is melting, mix the peanut butter, cereal crumbs, honey, and water in a small bowl.
3. When the chocolate is smooth ladle 1 tsp. into each ice cube tray compartment
4. Next, spoon 1/2 teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture into each ice cube compartment. I like to mold it first with my fingers so that it is dispersed relatively evenly.
5. Finally, spoon another tsp. of melted chocolate on top of each ice cube. This recipe will fill about 1 1/2 ice cube trays.
6. Put the trays in the freezer for 10 minutes.
7. Pop out your homemade peanut butter cups and enjoy!
*Tip: If you have trouble removing the peanut butter cups from the ice cube tray, try oiling it with coconut oil before adding the chocolate. You may also want to consider investing in Silicone Ice Cube Trays. These are great because they help the peanut butter cups pop out easily without breaking. Also, silicone does not leach into food in the same way that plastic can when heated. I consider it a good practice to avoid heating up plastics whenever possible.